Community Showcase @ Young | Exposición de Aprendizaje
Winter Break - School Closed | Vacaciones de Inviernos - escuela cerrada
Winter Break - School Closed | Vacaciones de Inviernos - escuela cerrada
Professional Development Day - no school for students | Día de Desarrollo Profesional para Maestros- Escuela Cerrada
Students Return to School | Los Estudiantes Regresan a la Escuela
Join us for Showcase!
At the completion of learning expeditions, students participate in a showcase to present their learning and detail the progression of their work. The 2018 Fall Community Showcase at Young will be on December 19 and 20. All parents and families are asked to join us for an exciting showcase of student learning! The times for each class' presentation are below:
Wednesday, December 19
- Hannah & Olivia's Preschool 5:30 - 6:00pm | Room 123
- Sherrie & Shannon's Prekindergarten 6:00 - 6:30pm | Room 126
- Jessica, Tyrone, and Sarah's Kindergarten 6:00 - 6:30pm | Rooms 146
- Chelsea & Re'Jeanne's 1st Grade 5:30 - 6:30pm | Room 143 & 145
- Lindsay & Lakiesha 2nd Grade 6:00 - 7:00pm | Room 243 & 245
- Caroline, Sophie and Stephanie's 3rd Grade 6:30 - 7:00pm | Room 244 & 246
- Ralph, Katrina, & Heather's 4th Grade 6:30 - 7:30pm | Room 226 & 224
Thursday, December 20
- Helen, Cheryl, & Rachell's Preschool 5:30 - 6:00pm | Room 125
- Maria & Ajulu's Prekindergarten 6:00 - 6:30pm | Room 126
- Susan & Katelynn's Kindergarten 6:00 - 6:30pm | Rooms 144
- Jane & Christine's 1st Grade 5:30 - 6:30pm | Room 145 & 143
- Melissa & Kate's 2nd Grade 6:00 - 7:00pm | Room 243 & 245
- Cara, Vincent, & KC's 3rd Grade 6:30 - 7:00pm | Room 246 & 244
- Meg, Ciera, & MyShia's 4th Grade 6:30 - 7:30pm | Room 226 & 224
Two Rivers CFC Code 66458
Did you know that Two Rivers has been partnering with the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) for several years? To date, friends and family have allocated more than $15,000 to Two Rivers! The mission of the CFC is to promote and support philanthropy through a program that allows all federal employees to give to charities and other non-profits that they care about. Government employees, please consider choosing Two Rivers PCS (CFC Code 66458) this year as you participate in the campaign.
Book Fair Success!
Thanks to all who shopped and supported our annual book fair. The sales generated more than $2,500 in funds for the school to use on books and classroom supplies. Big thanks to the PSA Book Fair lead, parent Al Williams, and all the staff and parents who helped with the fair. Happy reading!
TR PSA Annual Holiday Giving
Each year, the PSA selects a charitable organization for donations during the holidays. This year's recommendation came from one of our own middle school students! Hope for Henry is reinventing how hospitals care for seriously ill children and their families through innovative programs that entertain, reduce stress, and empower children to be active participants in their own care. We are asking families to help us support this worthy cause by donating items to be included in "birthday boxes" or as incentive rewards. Here are the items we are collecting:
- Gift cards in any denomination; $25 gift cards are given to children in their birthday box and all other increments are given as a way to incentive them to get a shot, go through a difficult procedure or to cheer them up.
- Superhero figurines. In an effort to prevent spreading germs, the figurines must be in the original, plastic packaging. Unfortunately, stuffed animals are not allowed.
- Board and card games of any kind, in the original packaging.
Please e-mail MS PSA President Tamara (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions!
Do you want to celebrate the excitement of math with your children? Do you want to discover new patterns and ways of thinking? Would you like a chance to see the Math Wizard in person? If so, then come join us for the Two Rivers Math Festival where parents and their children will play with math and learn new ways to solve problems through a variety of math stations. We'll have a blast! Students must attend with a parent or guardian. See you on Thursday, January 10 from 6:00 to 7:30pm at our Charles Young campus!
Middle School Principal Update
Last spring, we shared that Maggie Bello would serve as our Acting Middle School Principal and Chief Academic Officer for school year 2018-2019 while we continued to search for the right person to fill this role. Maggie has been with Two Rivers for more than ten years as a teacher, a principal in the elementary school, and our Chief Academic Officer. As Chief Academic Officer, Maggie worked closely with principals to ensure our continued academic success and to drive the strategic growth of Two Rivers' school culture and professional development programs.
We are thrilled to announce that Maggie has loved returning to school leadership and being in the Middle School and will become the permanent Middle School Principal!
We're confident that Maggie is the right person to lead the middle school through the planning stages of its expansion and eventual move to Young. We'll launch our search for a new Chief Academic Officer this month. Congratulations, Maggie!
Hunt-Kean Leadership Fellows Visited Two Rivers!
A group of 20 fellows with the Hunt-Kean Leadership program recently visited Two Rivers! The Hunt-Kean Leadership Fellows program partners with senior-level political leaders who have the knowledge, skill, and will to be effective, reform-minded education policymakers at the state level. The Fellows program – unlike any other fellowship in the nation – provides these political leaders with the core knowledge they need to cultivate smart and effective education agendas. Co-chaired by governors Jim Hunt (NC-D) and Tom Kean (NJ-R), the program aims to connect these senior-level officials with the best resources, information, and experts, so that they have a foundational understanding of the key education issues facing their state and the country.
The Fellows attended Community Meeting, visited classrooms, and engaged in lively discussion about what makes Two Rivers great. Second graders spoke about the challenges of creating effective litter laws in DC. Our 4th graders passionately shared multiple models for solving multiplication problems. Our preschoolers took a moment to explain the importance of community. What a fantastic moment for our Two Rivers students and teachers to shine!
Sibling Enrollment and Transfer Process
If you currently have a student enrolled in Two Rivers and would like to enroll their sibling or transfer from Young to 4th Street or vice versa, you must submit an application through My School DC at myschooldc.org. Please be sure to check that you have a sibling currently enrolled to receive your TR Sibling Preference.
In order to receive sibling preference:
- TR sibling must be returning for the 2019-2020 school year (siblings of 8th graders who will be 9th graders for the 2019-2020 school year are not eligible to receive sibling preference)
- Students must be enrolled at the same campus (4th Street is considered one campus).
- Display one or both parents on the birth certificate, or provide court ordered documents stating that you are the legal guardian of a child living in your home with your TR enrolled child.
Transfer Preference can only be used one time. Please be sure to check the transfer preference box on your application.
Once your preferences have been approved or declined, you will receive an email confirmation from MSDC.
Applications are open now and the deadline to submit is Friday, March 1, 2019 at 11:59pm.
Students who are currently enrolled who plan on returning for the upcoming school year do not have to submit applications through MSDC; however, re-enrollment is required for all students. Re-enrollment will open in April of 2019.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our Enrollment and Admissions Coordinator, Julie Shepperson at 202-543-8477 or via email at email@example.com.
2019 Open Houses!
Tell your neighbors and bring your friends, Two Rivers has opened its doors to the public for our annual Open Houses! Each open house lasts from 9am-10:30AM. The dates for each campus are listed below.
4th Street ES:
January 15, 2019
February 12, 2019
4th Street MS:
January 17, 2019 (3rd, 4th & 5th grade parents save this date, MS introduction more details forthcoming.)
February 14, 2019
Young ES (PK3 - 5th grade):
January 16, 2019
February 13, 2019
If you have any questions, please contact our Enrollment and Admissions Coordinator, Julie Shepperson at 202-543-8477 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Two Rivers Social Media
Two Rivers maintains a presence on several social media platforms. Please feel free to check us out and follow, like, or add us as your social media use dictates!