Summer Information Packet
Please find the following documents that were mentioned in Dr. Kristina's back to school communication. If you have questions about the materials in the summer information packet, please reach out to the registrar or 202-643-3184.
- School Calendar
- Technology Pick-Up and Survey
- Free and Reduced Price Lunch Form
- Lunch Order Form
- Family Conference Sign Up
- School Supplies
- Arts Class Selection (for all K-8th grade students)
- Middle School Programs
- My High School Search (8th Grade)
- 6th Grade Summer Bridge
- PSA Letter
- School Uniforms
- Crew Lists
As we prepare to launch the fall in a remote learning environment, we want to make sure each student is set up for success. To participate in remote learning, each student will need access to the internet and a dedicated device: Students in preschool and prekindergarten need to have access to at least a tablet, and students in kindergarten through eighth grade need access to a laptop or desktop.
If your children do not have access to the Internet or a device they can use exclusively to participate in remote learning, then we will provide your family with the required technology. Preschool and prekindergarten students will be issued Amazon Kindle Fire 8 Kids Edition and students in kindergarten through eighth grade will be issued Dell Chromebooks.
We are asking all Two Rivers Families to complete a Student Tech Survey by Friday, August 21. Families not completing the survey will be contacted by a Two Rivers staff member. Technology pick-up will take place at the Young Middle School campus (830 26th Street NE), on Thursday, August 27 and Friday, August 28 from 9–12, and 1–4, and Saturday, August 29 from 10–1.If you have any questions or need technology support for any Two Rivers equipment, please email our tech team at email@example.com.
All students eligible for Free and Reduced meals will be guaranteed access to breakfast and lunch, Monday through Friday for free. During distance learning, families will be expected to come on-site weekly to pick-up a 5-day meal kit per student. Each kit will comprise the reimbursable components of a National School Lunch Program (NSLP) breakfast and lunch. During any hybrid model which compromises in-person and distance learning, in-person students will receive meals on-site and be given take-home meal kits for distance learning days. We encourage all families to apply and take advantage of this program if you qualify. The school must have a completed application form (print in English or Spanish or completed online) for the National School Lunch Program on file for a child to receive free meals. Breakfast is offered to all students. The DC Healthy Schools Act requires that all DC public and public charter schools provide free breakfast to students. Lunch is available for purchase for all children.
Two Rivers is working with our food vendor, Preferred Meals, to provide delicious and healthy lunch options for your child. During our virtual re-opening, Two Rivers will distribute 5 Day Meal Kits. These kits will include all meal components along with preparation instructions. Meals will be picked up at our Young campus (820 26th Street NE, Washington, DC 20002) on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. To qualify for a meal kit, please complete the NSLP application found here.
Families are welcome to purchase lunch on a monthly basis. The school lunch order form can be found here. We will begin accepting meal payments and forms on Monday, August 10. If you would like your child to receive school lunch on the first day of school, please return the form to firstname.lastname@example.org; you can also make payments via the online uniform store no later than Friday, August 21, 2020.
This year we do not have a typical school supply list. We recommend that every family have pencils, markers, crayons, coloring pencils, erasers, composition notebooks, paper, pencil sharpeners, glue sticks, and headphones with a microphone for at-home learning. For families that may have challenges securing these items, Two Rivers will distribute sets of these items to families in need on the Technology distribution days August 27, 28, and 29. We will also be distributing specific grade band materials including books and math manipulatives to all students in early September.
As mentioned at the Family Town Hall on August 12th, we are excited to be able to offer all K - 5 students CHOICE in which arts class you'll take during virtual learning this quarter. Please take this two-minute survey before Wednesday, August 19, to indicate your first, second, and third arts choice. We will do our very best to make sure you get one of your first two choices.
The Middle School arts team is eagerly preparing for your return, and we are excited to be able to offer every student your choice of two arts classes this quarter! Please complete and return this form by Monday, August 24 to indicate your first, second, third, and fourth choice. We will do our very best to honor your choices.
Greeting new members of The Two Rivers Middle School!
We would like to invite your child to attend Two Rivers Middle School Virtual Summer Bridge Program for rising 6th graders.
“Summer Bridge” is designed to help students make a smooth transition from elementary school to middle school both academically and socially. We know that the transition to a new school is often a difficult and emotionally charged time for students. Our goal is to turn this around and make this transition fun and exciting! Our summer bridge program is the perfect time to allow students who will be new to our building the opportunity to get to know many of our faculty and staff members, administration, and school through exposure to our expectations and structure and lots of team building and fun!
Virtual Summer Bridge Schedule
We hope to see your student at Summer Bridge so that he/she can get to know our remote learning program before the new year begins. We look forward to watching your student learn and grow in this program and throughout their years here! If you have any questions please contact Mark Nash, Assistant Principal of Culture.
Welcome to the Two Rivers Family!
Muronji Inman-McCraw, Principal
Mark Nash, Assistant Principal of Culture
August 5, 2020
Dear Families of Two Rivers Public Charter School,
We are writing from your Parent School Association (PSA), an organization of parents and staff from Two Rivers Elementary and Middle Schools. All Two Rivers students’ parents and guardians are automatically members of the PSA so WELCOME to new and returning families! PSA goals are to: Foster school-wide community building; Support student learning; Help guide school governance by giving voice to the parent body; Engage in projects for continuous school improvement; and Facilitate resource building and development for parents, teachers, and school priorities.
WHAT A YEAR to think about parent engagement and adapt our goals to a new reality of distance learning and building community remotely! Obviously, we will not be organizing back-to-school new family playdates or potlucks this year, and many usual PSA favorite activities like family dance won’t make sense. Time will tell if some in-person activities may make be safe at some point. We do know, however, that interest is bubbling to build community digitally. We have more questions than answers for how to do this but look forward to stumbling forward with you.
To help us support successful parent engagement for the year please:
- Complete the PSA School Year 2020-21 Survey by Friday SEPTEMBER 4th: We have developed a Survey Monkey to gather feedback and ideas that PSA take on this year to support community-building and community service. The school is organizing meetings to support parents for distance learning. Beyond that, we know there are a range of all-campus, campus-specific, and grade- or class-specific PSA activities that could support our community this year. We’ll need active volunteering to make them happen! Look forward to your ideas and engagement – we’ll share back the survey results. (link HERE and url is: www.surveymonkey.com/r/8GP8YL5)
- Consider Volunteering as a Room Parent or Co-Room Parent by Friday SEPTEMBER 4th: In School Year 2020-2021 it will be especially valuable to have active Room Parents to coordinate activities tailored for grade or class -specific needs. We created a sign-up Google Document with teacher names – if you are interested in volunteering as a Room Parent or Co-Room Parent please add your name and contact info for your student’s class. We will contact those who sign-up to help coordinate activities, focusing on suggestions from the survey. (link HERE and url: tinyurl.com/y6btunwd)
- Consider joining the PSA!: Most PSA leadership and committee co-chairs have been active for many years and we are eager for new participants! Usually PSA holds elections in the Spring for upcoming year positions, but we put that on hold last year in the flurry of transition to distance learning. We decided to hold Winter elections and will keep in touch on that. If you are interested in joining please email us in the coming weeks or months for more information. Our contact info is on the next page.
- Keep your eyes open for PSA meetings. The school is planning parent listening sessions and distance learning support meetings via zoom. We’ll need to coordinate with them and take into consideration your feedback see what makes sense for PSA meetings.
- Sign up to have your rewards from Harris Teeter (school id 7519) and Amazon Smile (now in the app too) benefit Two Rivers! Download the BoxTops App to scan food purchases! Payments from these programs contribute significantly to the PSA’s operating budget.
- Donate to the PSA. PSA suggests an annual donation of $25 that you can make conveniently at THIS LINK. Please use the designation “PSA Membership.”
- Please check the Trib for updates from us!
Thanks for your patience and support as we all embark into the unknown in good company!
All Two Rivers students are required to wear a uniform shirt during in-person learning. Uniforms are available for online purchase and on-site pick-up by visiting https://tworiversuniformstore.square.site/. However, due to COVID-19, uniforms are not required during remote learning.